I’m a passionate software developer with a wealth of experience using PHP. I have a strong working knowledge of GNU/Linux systems and software, particularly Debian-based systems.
I have a history of contributing to the open source community and aim to give back wherever I can.
I have a keen eye for detail and strong code review skills, I will contribute to building a quality product.
Wider PlanSoftware Developer November 2009 – present https://www.widerplan.com/
- Helped drive use of Jenkins for continuous integration, deployment and other recurring tasks. Later utilised Jenkins Job Builder to roll out common test definitions for multiple repositories.
- Started reusable frontend framework based on Bootstrap v3 for product websites.
- Improved response times of web application by offloading intensive tasks to background processing using Gearman.
- Drove early adoption of Composer for dependency management of external and internal packages, replacing use of git submodules.
- Standardised adhoc local development environment using Puppet based configuration management and customised Ubuntu installer.
- Worked on the team that developed a bespoke product for the NHS which was delivered as required and received strong user feedback.
- Implemented a automated test harness for the companies standard prospective developer technical test which generated markdown reports for submissions.
- Lead the development of bespoke system for a public sector client which was successfully delivered on time, I formed part of the delivery team liaising with external stakeholders.
- Worked on the successful migration of multiple products to a platform-as-a-service hosting product from traditional dedicated servers.
TescoCustomer Assistant July 2007 – May 2009 http://www.tesco.com/
Primarily worked on checkouts on a part-time basis during my university studies and holidays.
My work as a customer assistant has helped improve my people skills; assisting customers with their shopping, solving problems and queries they had.
South Gloucestershire Council — Marlwood SchoolStudent Network Assistant October 2004 – September 2006 http://www.marlwood.com/
Employed after school term time working in the IT department providing support to users, installing and configuring hardware, troubleshooting hardware problems, and performing various maintenance tasks.
During summer holidays I worked equivalent of full time staff, for around a month, performing mass system deployments, networking infrastructure installation and maintenance.
I gained experience relating to networking, user support and mass deployments of Microsoft Windows based computers. In addition I undertook, hardware troubleshooting, configuration and miscellaneous tasks.
- Deployment of 100 new desktop computers plus supporting network infrastructure.
- Assisted in group interview of a new staff Network Assistant.
phpBBDevelopment Team Member July 2008 – January 2013 https://www.phpbb.com/
I was invited to join the Development Team of phpBB after a number of years assisting in the community with complex support queries, reporting issues and performing triage of issues.
I assistted with the maintenance of the stable branch, Olympus, and contributed to the early development of the next major release, Ascraeus.
- Provided code to make a best effort to handle servers that disabled the realpath() function.
- Performed initial work of converting phpBB to use PHP’s built-in date timezone handling functionality.
- Wrote test suite for untested custom template engine, later used to prove correctness when engine was replaced by Twig.
- Prepared phpBB for deploment using Microsoft’s web platform installer under guidance of Microsoft staff.
- Wrote automated tooling to validate Git commit messages against guidelines.
Students’ Guild — X-Media OnlineChief Moderator May 2008 – May 2009 http://xmedia.ex.ac.uk/
I was elected Chief Moderator in this role I moderated discussion on the X-Media Online forums and ensure that all visitors and users adhere to the rules and Students’ Guild policies.
Students’ Guild — X-Media OnlineDeveloper December 2007 – September 2009 http://xmedia.ex.ac.uk/
I assisted with further development fo the freshly rewritten X-Media Online website that took on responsibility for hosting content for all other student media organisations (TV/Radio/Newspaper).
- Assisted in development of the new Quicklook bar feature, that displayed a logged in student their number of unread email and details of their next scheduled lectures.
- Contributed to content of the student maintained wiki, X-Pedia.
- Converted the forums to phpBB from SMF.
- Helped perform server maintenance under guidance of the elected Server Manager.
Rolls Royce Plc.Work Experience July 2003 – July 2003 http://www.rolls-royce.com/
Worked for one week in the Computer Aided Design department transferring designs into electronic form from paper based designs.
2nd Alveston Scout TroopScout Assistant January 2002 – January 2003 http://www.2ndalvestonscouts.org.uk/
Once a week I assisted the leader of the Beaver colony (for 6–8 year olds) with the meetings activities. I would set up the required furniture at the beginning of the evening and clear it away afterwards. Further to this I helped with the beavers with the practical activities and games. I also performed instruction on tent pitching with small groups and helped to coordinate treasure hunts and other outdoor activities.
BSc Computer ScienceUniversity of Exeter October 2006 – June 2009
- Compilers and Interpreters
- Further Programming
- Enterprise Computing
- Information Systems
- Formal Notations and Methods
- Compilers & Interpreters
- Web Programming
Advanced StudiesMarlwood School Sixth Form September 2004 – June 2006
Secondary EducationMarlwood School September 1999 – June 2004
- English Language
- Science (Double Award)
- Apache HTTPD
- Active Directory
- dpkg packging format
- Bourne Shell
- POSIX Shell
- Batch file
- GNU coreutils
- Python 2
- Visual Basic
- Microsoft Office
- Google Docs
- English — Native speaker
- French — Elementary
- Open Source Software
- Video Gaming
- Music (Metal/Rock)
- Real Ale
Available upon request.