I recently treated myself to a new mobile
phone, so I bought a Nokia N900 which eXpansys eventually shipped to me. Now to the point, you can easily share content to Facebook, Ovi, and Flickr but I maintain my own Gallery2 installation and I wanted to upload my photos there as well. Luckily the sharing infrastructure is pluggable, so all I needed was a plugin which I found. Configuring it was a bit of a headache so here is how I did it.
I assume you are familiar with installing packages and whatnot on the N900/Maemo OS.
- First off I grabbed the plugin from the download page.
- I installed it from the terminal using
- Next I entered my Gallery2 Administration interface and added a new user, I called it mobile. I configured it with a random password, which I jotted down to enter into the N900.
- After that I enabled the Remote plugin in the administration interface.
- I created a new album, with the title Mobile (note case is important here)
- I adjusted the permissions on the album to permit the mobile user full access, I could probably lock this down a bit to only allow addition of new items but I’m not too worried.
- Next I grabbed my N900 and went to configure the Gallery2 sharing service, this is where the fun began for me. I ended up using tcpdump over ssh to diagnose the problems!
- I filled out the form with the following variables:
- User name
- gallery.cs278.org (leave off the scheme, https is not supported.)
- Mobile (Case is important here, use the same as the album title you set.)
If you get a network error, basically the plugin couldn’t authenticate to Gallery2 or you didn’t have the Remote interface enabled. Hopefully this helps somebody and saves you heading for tcpdump and some head scratching.